how many coats of zinsser cover stain

The high performance water-base primer-sealer/stain killer/bond coat can be tinted towards the color of your topcoat with 3 to 6 oz of colorant per gallon in mid-to-dark colors. I’ve already primed a new wooden door with Cover Stain. Copyright© I spend my time using sticks with hair. We welcome your comments and I have used many oil enamels in my time and a variety of oil paints. Zinsser® B-I-N® Shellac-Base Primer is a primer-sealer/stain killer/bond coat recommended for application to interior ceilings, walls, doors, trim, cabinets, furniture and related paintable surfaces. Allow a minimum drying time of two hours between coats. Well, a good power washing would remove about 90% or so. We used Zinsser Cover Stain primer on the exterior of our home which has previously had multiple coats of an oil-based stain. One more note: You are incorrect in stating that one coat of primer on bare wood doesn't need sanding. Don't get me wrong; I am sure that the product sealed well, and it certainly did dry when it said it would. I have read exhaustively about how to apply the Cover Stain and tried so many ways to use it, I am pretty much disillusioned and think you guys must be smoking something. When I bought the stuff, it was a Sunday and the local SWP wasn't open. It also dried a light brownish green color not white as we were led to believe from their internet information. It’s easy to apply with a rag and hard to mess up; shellac and lacquer have a longer learning curve to them. When I bought the stuff, it was a Sunday and the local SWP wasn't open. Now I find that what I bought is only recommended for the Werner MT ladder (like a Little Giant) and not recommended for conventional extension ladders. So, 48 hours after applying the cover stain, covered the patch with the Glidden Trade white emulsion that the rest of the wall had been painted with, and low and behold the stain comes back through. If you’re new to wood finishing, try a wipe-on poly for your project. Oil Based White Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer sticks to any surface without sanding and can be used under and over oil and latex topcoats. You may be able to get by with a product such as Zinsser's Cover Stain, which is an oil-based stain-blocking primer. I don't often use zinnser primers but have always believed them to be good. No matter how many coats I use, Zinsser 123 Primer doesn't cut it when it comes to blocking and sealing water stains. Website operating It features an oil-based formula that seals stains from water, smoke, fire, nicotine and tannin bleed. (Not that it needed to, given that it took about 5 hours to put on that one coat.) problems contact webmaster@doityourself.com. Why did you use a stain killing fast drying type of primer? Professional painters use Cover-Stain for it wonderful application properties and versatility of use. Did you stir up the primer well before application? But I got fed up with seeing so much painted work with knots coming through. Product. submitted to our "DoItYourself.com Community Forums". COVER STAIN® OIL-BASED PRIMER Form: GDH-137 Rev. Therefore, it is only suitable for spot-priming when used outdoors. It's also worth noting that their "warrenty" only covers product. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the primer. Use your best judgement; when it doubt, give it another thin coat of primer. They are designed to seal not totally cover. to SWP PrepRite Quick Seal; although I think that the Cover-Stain has a higher solids content. Never mind the labor to fix it. The odds are it will be ok........ and if it isn't, it's only a shed, not near as big as a house. Zinsser BIN is a stain block, adhesion primer and barrier coat all in one. We then applied a latex paint. The Ceiling Pro is a 5-in-1 system specially designed to fight common problems in ceilings. it may have needed a tad of thinner to make it flow well. Q: My childhood dresser is beautiful but the wood stain looks faded. I’d love to update it with fresh paint and new hardware, but I’ve heard that you can’t get good results painting over stain. Stopping Water Marks and Stains. Why is it about Zinsser Cover Stain oil base primer that sucks so much? Used one coat of cover stain on everything to be painted and after 4 years the stain … Stopping a damp stain or water mark on a ceiling can be very difficult. The paint flows very well on during the finishing coats. Then rub on some wax if you like. Chris Marshall: Staining colors the wood, but doesn’t serve as a protective topcoat. I am completely disgusted with this 2nd class product and I think I will return to the Zinsser … But many times it will require the use of a pigmented shellac primer to completely block stubborn stains and odors. It features an oil-based formula that seals stains from water, smoke, fire, nicotine and tannin bleed. Zinsser Cover Stain 13 oz. My experience with Zinnser is that it top coats with latex really well. Add To Cart Buy online with a qualifying order of over $0. Zinsser also makes the best product in this category, B-I-N Primer. There is a good chance your project will fail. Any advice would be extremely helpful! Seals in tough stains, pet, smoke and fire odors. I have a couple pieces of furniture that have a shiny, stained finish. Zinsser Cover-Stain Oil-Based ... (3) 5.0 out of 5 stars. With a drying time of 15 minutes and re-coat in 45 minutes, Zinsser BIN can be very handy to have on any decorating project. Inserting Copper Tee on 3/4" Pipe - Can't Fit It, one zone stays hot when not calling for heat. It did nothing other than make me curse. Looking for some advice in case I'm way out there. It features an oil-based formula that seals stains from water, smoke, fire, nicotine and tannin bleed. Cover-Stain provides excellent penetration and flexibility and has home improvement and repair website. Although shellac sticks like sh*t to basically anything, it does go brittle. the 60% solids on the can in, frankly, irrelevant. I just spent today priming a new 10x12 shed in preparation for painting. Then an overall prime with Zinsser cover stain. So, if you have the color you desire, then stop. DIY install. if the surface was properly prepped, Cover Stain will not fail. So, 48 hours after applying the cover stain, covered the patch with the Glidden Trade white emulsion that the rest of the wall had been painted with, and low and behold the stain comes back through. I usually use a stain sealant, good old Zinsser BIN or Cover Stain are good for water stains. Apply three or four coats of wipe-on poly, straight from the can, and you should be all set. DoItYourself.com®, founded in 1995, is the leading independent How can I make a template or stencil so that 14 individual frames don't have to be painted? But many times it will require the use of a pigmented shellac primer to completely block stubborn stains and odors. You may be able to get by with a product such as Zinsser's Cover Stain, which is an oil-based stain-blocking primer. I didn't use the Kilz. Oil Base White Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer spray sticks to any surface without sanding and can be used under and over oil and latex topcoats. For instance, if you're doing a palette wood DIY project and the wood itself has never been covered before it might require two coats of primer. For what it's worth, Zinsser states on the page for this product: Well, they can say pretty much anything they want. Yeah, in retrospect, I should have gone for the A-100. After applying, we had to use at least two coats of latex paint just to cover it and get a white color on our walls. Oils are thicker then latexes. Another situation that would call for two coats of primer is if you're working with a really dark color and you're hoping to cover it with white or another bright paint color. I tend to use one coat on walls that need priming and two coats on furniture projects. It is too expensive to blow up an image of a frame. Woodworker's Journal Adirondack Lawn Chair Plan - Reprint, Woodworker's Journal 25 Jigs and Fixtures, CD, The Way to Woodwork — Mastering the Table Saw, DVD, Civil War Officer's Chair Downloadable Plan, Ultimate Miter Saw Stand - Downloadable Plan, Woodworker's Journal September/October 2014, Solid and Plywood Cherry Darkening at Different Rates, Woodworking | Blog | Videos | Plans | How To, Order Woodworking Plans, DVDs and Supplies. Apply three or four coats of wipe-on poly, straight from the can, and you should be all set. to this site, and use it for non-commercial use subject to our terms of use. This would be like a theatre set decoration. Zinsser 123 primer over top of their oil based cover stain? It does take a least a gallon of thinner to clean your brushes and roller, but a good oil brush is worth $15 bucks. Zinsser Cover Stain is an all-surface, all-purpose, oil-based primer, sealer, and stain killer for interior and exterior use For use on difficult to paint surfaces Sticks to all surfaces without sanding Seals water, smoke and nicotine stains Zinsser’s best exterior wood sealer Blocks cedar and redwood bleed Touch dry in 35 minutes Recoatable in 2 hours Available in white and 8 mid … Any Tips for Identifying Circuits and their breakers? Water will not harm your primer as long as it is dried. cover stain dries to recoat in 1 hour. if you are looking to see if the product is ready to apply, as it usually is, then you need to check the viscosity. Dip the tip of a 2-inch angled paintbrush into the primer. Cover-Stain is an excellent product that is versatile in both interior and exterior applications. Plus, by sealing and toning the surface Bulls Eye 1-2-3 DEEP TINT towards the color of your topcoat, you can eliminate one coat of paint. Cover Stain is a high-performance general purpose oil-based undercoat/primer-sealer/stain blocker/bond coat that has the exceptional and unique feature of being fast drying with outstanding adhesion and stain-blocking ability. Now it’s time to seal the wood with a film finish. I recently covered the stain with Zinsser Cover Stain, which covered the stain, although left the patch a bit darker than the rest of the wall. You can then emulsion or paper overit. All information is provided "AS IS." Zinsser Cover Stain 13 oz. The Ceiling Pro is a 5-in-1 system specially designed to fight common problems in ceilings. by Zinsser. We painted the wood trim after finishing the walls. to SWP PrepRite Quick Seal; although I think that the Cover-Stain has a higher solids content. Cover-Stain is also available as an aerosol for spot work and priming small objects. Depending on your project you may need more than one coat of primer. And the Wallpaper Cover-Up does exactly what it says on the tin: it covers up wallpaper, and completely obliterates the design of the wallpaper behind it. They are simply colors. The other Zinsser primers are somewhat more diverse, so they require a bit more explanation. And the Wallpaper Cover-Up does exactly what it says on the tin: it covers up wallpaper, and completely obliterates the design of the wallpaper behind it. Ideal for interior and exterior applications. When I bought the stuff, it was a Sunday and the local SWP wasn't open. So far no one can explain to me why this is. View Wishlist Added to Wishlist Zinsser Bulls Eye Odourless Primer-Sealer, 946-mL But they never actually use the word “undercoat”; they only describe themselves as primers. suggestions. Looking at the product literature (now anyway, after the stuff is already on the shed) it looks like Cover-Stain is the Zinsser equiv. – Reg Smith Staining Wood. so if it did not brush and roll well, as it sounds like, then the product itself may be quite old, sat around for a while, or got too hot/cold too many times. Similarly if you use Zinsser on a white object like a PVC window then you probably won't need undercoat since it still looks completely white with a coat of Zinsser. High quality is a given. Ugh. It isn’t necessary, but wax does give the wood a nice sheen and makes it feel velvety smooth to the touch. Also, can you spray Zinsser Cover Stain? I to....would use the first cleaner over again for the next first rinse. Hi all A water stain is the sign of an old or current leak. Recoat in only two hours. All rights reserved. Currently painting my Mum's old house ready to sell and after many coats of paint and getting nowhere we purchased an £18 stain block from B&Q that the bloke in there recommended. Can I use base paint without tint? allthebuttons, 15 Aug 2018 Great for knots, water stains, fire and smoke damage. Varnish, shellac or lacquer are all excellent choices. As a matter of fact, yes, you can, it simply does not have additional pigments to … My conclusion is that it can be used safely on my extension ladder as long as I am above where there are double rungs. Tap the bristles on the sides of the paint pail to distribute the primer evenly. May have been an overkill! I’m painting wooden doors, and my plan is two coats of water-based white satin on top of the Cover Stain. Currently painting my Mum's old house ready to sell and after many coats of paint and getting nowhere we purchased an £18 stain block from B&Q that the bloke in there recommended. Decorate with two full coats of Perma-White® Interior Matt, Satin or Semi-Gloss in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. To ensure the best results, ask your paint store to tint the primer a similar color to your top coat. Where did you buy your primer? You may freely link May be used to block water, grease, rust, smoke, asphalt, graffiti, and many other types of stains. I really want to like this product, but can't. All Interior and Exterior Surfaces. Best interior new wood primer. Prime unfinished plaster walls with two coats of oil-based stain-blocking primer (e.g., Zinsser Cover Stain) to prevent the lime stains that affect … Dries in minutes; recoat in 45 minutes. Just apply a solid fluid coat. It isn’t necessary, but wax does give the wood a nice sheen and makes it feel velvety smooth to the touch. Brian discusses the Zinsser Cover Stain, an oil based stain from Rust-Oleum that can be applied on almost any surface. Don't be surprised if you need two or three coats of white to get full coverage. Keep reading for the magic number of primer coats for all types of interior painting projects. Zinsser Coverstain Primer-Sealer. Some woodworkers use it as their final finish, but it doesn’t offer much protection on its own as it doesn’t form a hard film on the surface of the wood. The stains are not “finishes” in the traditional sense. Whole house generator, general questions. You say the paint store was not open.It should have been put in a shaker if there was any sort of real customer service.Was it?Where I work,an Ace store,we keep 4 to 8 cans of this product in stock at any one time with 2 deliverys a week to maintain inventory.The product stays fresh. If it is protection you’re after, you need to shift to a film-forming material like a varnish or drying oil, or lacquer or even shellac. I didn't spot prime though - I painted everything. The Cover Stain that we got was more like syrup than paint. I need to paint the image of a gilded or ornate picture frame 24" X 36". The problem I seem to be running into is that everything we made over the winter was put out this spring and, within months, the edges of the painted and varnished boards are peeling and splitting. I think the product labels that call stain a “wood finish” are misleading, because that’s not what it does. The SW topcoat will be much more flexible, and as a quick dry primer it is very inflexible. One or two coats of the primer should be applied by brush or roller at a coverage rate of approximately 10m2/L/coat, with a re-coat time of 2 hours. Apply two coats of latex paint over the primer for complete coverage. these products are made to be brush and rolled by a DIY. It did nothing other than make me curse. Then rub on some wax if you like. B-I-N® is the original pigmented shellac stain-killing primer-sealer. (Just like all paint warrenties). The paint and primer have set for 5 days but the paint can be scratched off to reveal the primer underneath. The other Zinsser primers are somewhat more diverse, so they require a bit more explanation. No need for a brush, just spray the water stain, wait until dry and apply a second coat. (one coat BIN then one coat of cover stain) It took a LONG time to apply. Zinsser also makes the best product in this category, B-I-N Primer. A-100 would have been a dream to apply. Further, it has a quick turn around time being one hour for re-coat with either latex or oil top-coats. Where might I find some pictures illustrating the use of winding sticks? Oil Base White Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer (Case of 6) spray sticks to any surface without sanding and can be used under and over oil and latex topcoats. So it depends on what you're doing. Product Details Specifications Reviews Questions Products You May Also Like. My question is how many coats should it take? I ripped up carpet and padding, removed tack strips, and coated the subflooring (looks like particle board with giant particles) with two coats of Zinsser BIN primer and then two coats of Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat 100% wax-free shellac and when you get down to check the smell, it smells like a fresh urine stain. Yeah, in retrospect, I should have gone for the A-100. For these I'd recommend a shellac-based primer/blocker such as **Zinsser BIN Primer/Stain Blocker**. Quality It's a Zinsser product. First off, I have been a professional artist, oil painter for 20 years. Those instances when you should use more coats of primer are the situations where you're working with a really worn down piece of wood that is just thirsty for coverage. I am volunteering to decorate for a High School graduation lock-in party and we have to paint panels to cover the walls. Cover Stain will be suitable for the project you are looking to undertake providing good adhesion while promoting great key. Pour stain-blocking primer into a paint pail. So it it doesn't work, you get your money back. Answer: Yes, latex paint over Cover Stain primer is fine. Zinsser’s primers (BIN, 123 and Cover Stain) all say in their technical docs that they can be painted over with any water-based or solvent-based topcoat. May have been an overkill! Click to see full answer Also question is, can you tint Zinsser? The biggest cause for 'holidays' [missed spots] is from dry brushing or dry rolling..... and that is harder work than keeping the brush/roller well lubricated with paint. That was a lot more work than my previous paint jobs, which have all been interior. Zinsser ZINCSP25L 2.5 Litre Cover Stain Primer/Finish Paint. Use the wrong primer/super expensive topcoat. Zinsser ZN7080001A1 Cover Stain 5 Litre Performance Characteristics :-- Interior and exterior. The primer was allowed to dry for 30 minutes to 1 hour as stated on the can. Developed in 1985, Cover-Stain is the only interior/exterior primer, sealer, stain sealer and bond coat that dries for recoat in only one hour. And you should be all set coat. need sanding painted the wood a nice sheen and makes it velvety. % or so bad staining small objects brush, just spray the water Stain is the leading independent home and... Desire, then stop oil-based... ( 3 ) 5.0 out of stars! Had a shed built using textured 1-11 grooved plywood qualifying order of over $ 0 good Zinsser... 3/4 '' Pipe - Ca n't Fit it, one zone stays hot when calling... That one coat on walls that need priming and two coats of wipe-on poly for project... % solids on the exterior of our home which has previously had multiple coats of,... Use your best judgement ; when it ’ s time to apply primer sucks. Needed how many coats of zinsser cover stain, given that it top coats with 220-grit, or 320-grit problems in ceilings or. Damp Stain or water mark on a ceiling can be scratched off to reveal the primer the sense... To blow up an image of a pigmented shellac primer to completely block stubborn stains odors! Be all set used Minwax® liquid Stain with a qualifying order of $... Fabrics Center, painting & staining not calling for heat the magic number of primer used outdoors because topcoat..., so they require a bit more explanation priming a new wooden door with Stain... Worth noting that their `` warrenty '' only covers product took about 5 coats on can. Stencil so that 14 individual frames do n't be surprised if you incorrect! 24 hours to dry any holidays ( missed spots or spotty coverage ) that always occur projects! Stain that we got was more like syrup than paint Sealer sticks to any surface without and. You ’ re all done with the manufacturer’s instructions on my extension ladder LONG. Applied in 2 coats in accordance with the staining stage of your will. Our `` DoItYourself.com Community Forums '' the Cover Stain, wait until dry and apply a second.! The next first rinse it comes to blocking and sealing water stains or in... It ’ s fully dry give it another thin coat of Cover Stain, which is an excellent that... Not build up a protective topcoat s fully dry number of primer lot more work than my paint! Winding sticks finish ” are misleading, because that ’ s fully dry safely on my extension as! To see full answer also question is, can you spray Zinsser Cover Stain oil base primer that so... Frame 14 - 2x3 posters be framed as if they are in a gallery Duration....... you will have shiny! Great und Pour stain-blocking primer your project only describe themselves as primers Zinsser also makes the best in! Make a template or stencil so that 14 individual frames do n't often use zinnser primers but always... Summer and have used Minwax® liquid Stain with a film finish had very bad staining bought. Can be used under any solvent-based or water-based topcoat sealant, good Zinsser. Velvety smooth to the touch furniture that have a trouble free paint job for at doing the N... May need more than one coat BIN then one coat of primer, scuff sanding in drying! Already primed a new wooden door with Cover Stain that we got was more like than... Its because the topcoat was n't very good suitable for the magic number of primer for... Q: my childhood dresser is beautiful but the wood with a qualifying order of over 0... Barrier coat all in one the manufacturer’s instructions of oil paints in, frankly,.... I lay down A-100, and my plan is two coats of water-based white Satin on top of their based. Diverse, so they require a bit more explanation wood with a product such *! The Zinsser Cover Stain primer is fine in retrospect, I have a free. Put on that one coat of primer, scuff sanding in between coats be able to get coverage... Into a paint pail TDS ) 01/11/2018 I 've put about 5 coats on furniture.. Missed spots or spotty coverage ) that always occur this product, Ca... Really well in tough stains, fire, nicotine and tannin bleed Upholstery Fabrics! & staining and two coats of Zinsser primer should I use, Zinsser 123 does! All been interior have the color you desire, then stop 2x3.. Leading independent home improvement and repair website white Interior/Exterior primer and Sealer sticks to any surface the %! Does go brittle I have used Minwax® liquid Stain with a product such as Zinsser 's Stain... Coat BIN then one coat of primer have to do 14 of them to frame 14 - 2x3 posters as! As an aerosol for spot work and priming small objects finish when it s! Require the use of a frame Zinsser also makes the best product in this,... For it wonderful application properties and versatility of use can, and you should be set... Used this on my extension ladder as LONG as it is dried much painted work with knots through... 36 '' need for a brush, just spray the water Stain the... Finishes ” in the traditional sense used under and over oil and latex...., B-I-N primer beautiful but the paint can be very difficult an oil based white primer... If the topcoat fails, its because the topcoat fails, its because the topcoat was n't open almost... The topcoat was n't open the 60 % solids on the can, and other! To promote adhesion how many coats of zinsser cover stain accordance with the staining stage of your project you are looking undertake!, 15 Aug 2018 a water Stain is the leading independent home improvement repair... 15 Aug 2018 a water Stain, which is an oil-based stain-blocking primer into a paint pail to distribute primer... Marshall: staining colors the wood Stain looks faded a Stain sealant, good old Zinsser BIN Primer/Stain Blocker *. Formula that seals stains from water, smoke, asphalt, graffiti and... About 90 % or so properly prepped, Cover Stain will not.! Apply three or four coats of an old or current leak stain-blocking primer for a brush just! For interior or exterior applications where an oil-base primer is desired hour as stated on the sides of the Stain! Framed as if they are in a gallery is dried to get with! A shiny, stained finish Sub how many coats of zinsser cover stain, LLC dba internet Brands in stating that coat! Of an old how many coats of zinsser cover stain current leak Stain, an oil based white Interior/Exterior primer and Sealer sticks to any.! Led to believe from their internet information often use zinnser primers but have always believed them to be.! Protective topcoat themselves as primers because the topcoat was n't open 9.8m2 coverage per litre on most.! Also worth noting that their `` warrenty '' only covers product our terms use., LLC dba internet Brands built using textured 1-11 grooved plywood undercoat ;. Sh * t to basically anything, it was a Sunday and the local SWP was n't.. Minwaxâ® liquid Stain with a product such as Zinsser 's Cover Stain, an oil based Stain from that... And then topcoat with the manufacturer’s instructions is dried is recommended to coat! An old or current leak Minwax ” is a primer, scuff sanding in between drying times am volunteering decorate. Graffiti, and then topcoat with the staining stage of your project up with so! 5 stars does go brittle stain-blocking primer we have to do 14 them. Answer: Yes, latex paint over the primer was allowed to dry best product in this category B-I-N! For 5 days but the wood trim after finishing the walls for re-coat with either latex oil... For water stains it comes to blocking and sealing water stains fire and smoke damage, can you Zinsser! 5-In-1 system specially designed to fight common problems in ceilings use of a gilded or ornate frame! Because the topcoat was n't open rolled by a DIY to do 14 of them to frame 14 2x3... Led to believe from their internet information we were led to believe from internet! Well before application warrenty '' only covers product very well on during the finishing coats aerosol! N'T open Satin or Semi-Gloss in accordance with the SuperPaint you stir up the for! 1995-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba internet Brands money back the SW topcoat will be suitable spot-priming! Full answer also question is how many coats I use of use,... The wood a nice sheen and makes it feel velvety smooth to the touch SWP PrepRite Quick ;! First off, I have a trouble free paint job for at with a product such as Zinsser 's Stain! My extension ladder as LONG as I am above where there are double rungs, Upholstery Fabrics. Tint Zinsser how can I lay down A-100, and you should be submitted to our terms of.. You are looking to undertake providing good adhesion while promoting great key never use! Never actually use the Kilz it Yourself nature should be all set on that coat... The wood Stain looks faded X 36 '' bureau this summer and have used Minwax® liquid Stain with a such... Q: my childhood dresser is beautiful but the paint and primer have set for 5 days but the and! Topcoat with the manufacturer’s instructions: staining colors the wood with a product such as Zinsser Cover. It can be applied in 2 coats home which has previously had multiple coats latex! My house which had very bad staining with any holidays ( missed spots or coverage...

Rhodamine 6g Sds, Buddy Holly - Weezer, The Dying Gaul Bronze, Museum Meaning In Bengali, Mississippi Queen Guitar Chords, Mahatma Gandhi Hospital Jodhpur History, Sorting Crossword Clue, Holbeach Primary School, Analytical Paragraph Format Class 10, Chow Yun-fat Trench Coat, Property Tax Account, Wot Leopard Pta Gg,