impact of i have a dream'' speech

Dr. King, who had a doctorate in theology and once contemplated a career in academia, was shaped by both his childhood in his father’s church and his later studies of disparate thinkers like Reinhold Niebuhr, Gandhi and Hegel. "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Remembering Martin Luther King Jr. More than 250,000 people came. The BBC commissioned world leaders, protestors, and peacemakers to take turns reading aloud sections of the "I Have a Dream" speech, reaching an audience of 239 million people over 50 years after King's speech. President Obama, who once wrote about his mother’s coming home “with books on the civil rights movement, the recordings of Mahalia Jackson, the speeches of Dr. King,” has described the leaders of the movement as “giants whose shoulders we stand on.” Some of his own speeches owe a clear debt to Dr. King’s ideas and words. In his 2004 Democratic National Convention keynote address, which brought him to national attention, Mr. Obama channeled Dr. King’s vision of hope, speaking of coming “together as one American family.” In his 2008 speech about race, he talked, much as Dr. King had, of continuing “on the path of a more perfect union.” And in his 2007 speech commemorating the 1965 Selma march, he echoed Dr. King’s remarks about Exodus, describing Dr. King and the other civil rights leaders as members of the Moses generation who “pointed the way” and “took us 90 percent of the way there.” He and his contemporaries were their heirs, Mr. Obama said — they were members of the Joshua generation with the responsibility of finishing “the journey Moses had begun.”, Dr. King knew it would not be easy to “transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood” — difficulties that persist today with new debates over voter registration laws and the Trayvon Martin shooting. Tucsonans recount, recall impact of 'I Have a Dream' speech - … Rhetorical questions "I Have a Dream" Speech Purpose/Problem -“when will you be satisfied?” Rhetorical Analysis The Main purpose of the "I Have a Dream" speech is to demand racial justice, and to inform individuals of what problems we can overcome. Instead, I’ll focus on five key lessons in speechwriting that we can extract from Martin Some 250,000 people had assembled to hear Today marks the 50 th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech during the March on Washington. King's words challenged people of all races, all over the world, to realize that our destinies all depend on each other. The entire March on Washington speech reverberates with biblical rhythms and parallels, and bristles with a panoply of references to other historical and literary texts that would have resonated with his listeners. His voice arced into an emotional crescendo as he turned from a sobering assessment of current social injustices to a radiant vision of hope — of what America could be. The Riverside Church speech is monumental, but its aim was to inform and educate, while the aim of “I Have a Dream” was to inspire and motivate. Already a member? Considering The night his home was bombed during the bus boycott in Montgomery, Ala., endangering the lives of his wife, Coretta, and their infant daughter, he calmed the crowd gathered in front of their house, saying, “I want you to love our enemies.” Some of his supporters reportedly broke into song, including hymns and “My Country, ’Tis of Thee.”. Crowds gathering at the Lincoln Memorial for the March on Washington on Aug. 28, 1963. In 1963, King and other leaders of the civil rights movement organized a huge march for equal rights in Washington, D.C. With a massive crowd of over 200,000 followers, the march protested racial discrimination in schools and the workforce. Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. Aug 28 (Reuters) - It would be easy to assume that the stirring words of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech affected Americans most of all. By drawing from the words of Abraham Lincoln, the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence, the speech argued that the "unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" were fundamentally granted to everyone in America. Fifty years later, its most famous lines are recited by schoolchildren and sampled by musicians. The speech championing the freedom and equality for black people and oppressed people everywhere. On August 28, 1963 the last speaker at the march at Washington, Martin Luther King Jr. gave the very famous speech "I Have A Dream." Pablo Martinez Monsivais/Associated Press. In his “Dream” speech, Dr. King alludes to a famous passage from Galatians, when he speaks of “that day when all of God’s children — black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics — will be able to join hands.” As he did in many of his sermons, he also drew parallels between “the Negro” still an “exile in his own land” and the plight of the Israelites in Exodus, who, with God on their side, found deliverance from hardship and oppression, escaping slavery in Egypt to journey toward the Promised Land. "I Have a Dream" is a public speech that was delivered by American civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. during the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom on August 28, 1963, in which he called for civil and economic rights and an end to racism in the United States.. For that, we have the singer Mahalia Jackson to thank: as King reached the end of his prepared text, and sensing that his words had fallen a little flat, she called out, ‘Tell them about your dream, Martin’. With his improvised riff, Dr. King took a leap into history, jumping from prose to poetry, from the podium to the pulpit. Alveda King on impact of 'I Have a Dream' speech … In Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, what is an example of repetition? He spoke in the hopes of solidifying a future for African-Americans and passing on the message of equality amongst all men and women. Sign up now, Latest answer posted November 18, 2019 at 5:02:06 AM, Latest answer posted December 09, 2019 at 3:35:36 AM, Latest answer posted November 20, 2019 at 11:50:50 PM, Latest answer posted November 10, 2019 at 9:45:32 AM. Part of its resonance resides in Dr. King’s moral imagination. Why does Dr. King’s “Dream” speech exert such a potent hold on people around the world and across the generations? The impact of the speech was also felt globally. France has a Martin Luther King Monument, and children in London can play at the Martin Luther King Adventure Playground. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. I have a dream today.” King wrote his I Have a Dream speech in Clarence B. Jones’s house in Riverdale, New York. I Have a Dream was important speech in many ways. It was the largest gathering in Washington, D.C.'s history. After staying up until 4 a.m. to craft a speech he hoped would have the same impact as the Gettysburg Address, MLK Jr. went off-script for his most iconic words. Combined with television broadcasts of the deep racial divisions in the South, the speech encouraged people to consider a more inclusive America. “I have a dream,” he declared, “my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Top subjects are Literature, Social Sciences, and History. Unlike many of the day’s previous speakers, he did not talk about particular bills before Congress or the marchers’ demands. The impact of the "I Have a Dream" speech was far reaching. The knowledge that Dr. King gave his life to the cause lends an added poignancy to the experience of hearing his speeches today. Log in here. He began slowly, with magisterial gravity, talking about what it was to be black in America in 1963 and the “shameful condition” of race relations a hundred years after the Emancipation Proclamation. In the I Have a Dream speech by Martin Luther King Jr, the speech was given on August 28th, 1963 in front of countless African Americans fighting for their right to freedom. King understood that the changes which America so desperately needed would not happen quickly. Much the way Lincoln redefined the founders’ vision of America in his Gettysburg Address by invoking the Declaration of Independence, so Dr. King in his “Dream” speech makes references to both the Gettysburg Address and the Declaration of Independence. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/i-have-a-dream-speech-worl... What are examples of repetition and parallelism in this speech? Dr. King probably did not foresee a black president celebrating the 50th anniversary of his speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial, and surely did not foresee a monument to himself just a short walk away. King’s speech, elegantly structured and commanding in tone, has become shorthand not only for his own life but for the entire civil rights movement. Most immediately, it helped shape the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Rhetorical Context: Martin Luther King’s "I Have a Dream" was the keynote speech delivered on the steps at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. on August 28, 1963. Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now. Such references added amplification and depth of field to the speech, much the way T. S. Eliot’s myriad allusions in “The Waste Land” add layered meaning to that poem. What persuasive techniques are used in Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech? But if people were tired after a long day, they were absolutely electrified by Dr. King. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. finally stepped to the lectern, in front of the Lincoln Memorial, to address the crowd of 250,000 gathered on the National Mall. In August 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. to give his iconic “I Have a Dream” speech. At the same time, the sonorous cadences and ringing, metaphor-rich language of the King James Bible came instinctively to him. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. These deliberate echoes helped universalize the moral underpinnings of the civil rights movement and emphasized that its goals were only as revolutionary as the founding fathers’ original vision of the United States. Not only did those words resonate throughout the entire globe shortly after King delivered the speech, but they are still summoned today to continue to challenge Americans to seek out and eliminate racism wherever it exists. I Have a Dream, the speech by civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr., that was delivered on August 28, 1963, during the March on Washington. Dr. King’s speech was not only the heart and emotional cornerstone of the March on Washington, but also a testament to the transformative powers of one man and the magic of his words. Fifty years later, the four words “I have a dream” have become shorthand for Dr. King’s commitment to freedom, social justice and nonviolence, inspiring activists from Tiananmen Square to Soweto, Eastern Europe to the West Bank. “The majority of King’s famous speech is largely forgotten today; only the ‘I have a dream’ peroration commands the headlines. Quotations from the Bible, along with its vivid imagery, suffused his writings, and he used them to put the sufferings of African-Americans in the context of Scripture — to give black audience members encouragement and hope, and white ones a visceral sense of identification. The Rev. Dr. King was about halfway through his prepared speech when Mahalia Jackson — who earlier that day had delivered a stirring rendition of the spiritual “I Been ’Buked and I Been Scorned” — shouted out to him from the speakers’ stand: “Tell ’em about the ‘Dream,’ Martin, tell ’em about the ‘Dream’!” She was referring to a riff he had delivered on earlier occasions, and Dr. King pushed the text of his remarks to the side and began an extraordinary improvisation on the dream theme that would become one of the most recognizable refrains in the world. The March sought to address the conditions under which most black Americans were living at the time and to facilitate “meaningful civil rights laws, a massive federal works program, full and fair employment, decent housing, the right to vote, and adequate integrated edu… Part of it resides in his masterly oratory and gift for connecting with his audience — be they on the Mall that day in the sun or watching the speech on television or, decades later, viewing it online. Instead, he situated the civil rights movement within the broader landscape of history — time past, present and future — and within the timeless vistas of Scripture. While delivering his speech at a kairotic moment, King tells us how blacks have been serving an injustice and that they should be treated equally. The original intent behind Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech was an appeal to end economic and employment inequalities. Today, Dr. King's famous words are chipped into the spot where he spoke. Answer to: How did the I Have a Dream speech impact society? Only two and a half months before the “Dream” speech, Gov. Many wore hats and their Sunday best — “People then,” the civil rights leader John Lewis would recall, “when they went out for a protest, they dressed up” — and the Red Cross was passing out ice cubes to help alleviate the sweltering August heat. It was late in the day and hot, and after a long march and an afternoon of speeches about federal legislation, unemployment and racial and social justice, the Rev. What is its effect? 18 thoughts on “ Importance of the ‘I Have a Dream’ Speech ” Drew Dill August 28, 2019 This was undoubtedly a great speech because it moved us emotionally and intellectually. Along the way, he developed a gift for synthesizing assorted ideas and motifs and making them his own — a gift that enabled him to address many different audiences at once, while making ideas that some might find radical somehow familiar and accessible. Dr. Alveda King, niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., says 'the dream is still alive' on the 57th anniversary of the speech. This was the site of King's famous \"I Have a Dream\" speech. The impact of the "I Have a Dream" speech was far reaching. It was a gift that in some ways mirrored his abilities as the leader of the civil rights movement, tasked with holding together often contentious factions (from more militant figures like Stokely Carmichael to more conservative ones like Roy Wilkins), while finding a way to balance the concerns of grass-roots activists with the need to forge a working alliance with the federal government. Words spoken that day by Dr. King still reverberate. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech is chronicled in a new video, His Dream Our Stories, which traces the influence and impact of the movement. Answer to: How did the I Have a Dream speech impact history? He stirred the hearts of white people with a vision of brotherhood reaching from the Rockies of Colorado to Stone Mountain in Georgia. The speech asked us all to find credence in the truth that "all men are created equal" and to then act when we find individuals and groups who are not treated equally. ©2020 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The March on Washington and Dr. King’s “Dream” speech would play an important role in helping pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and the pivotal Selma to Montgomery march that he led in 1965 would provide momentum for the passage later that year of the Voting Rights Act. At the same time, Dr. King was also able to nestle his arguments within a historical continuum, lending them the authority of tradition and the weight of association. On August 28, 1963, more than 200,000 people gathered in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. as part of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Perhaps one of the most morally irreproachable and commendable speeches ever given was Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have A Dream” speech given on August 29th, 1963. Speech Critique – I Have a Dream – Martin Luther King Jr. Much of the greatness of this speech is tied to its historical context, a topic which goes beyond the scope of this article. A call for equality and freedom, it became one of the defining moments of the civil rights movement and one of the most In addition to allusions to the prophets Isaiah (“I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low”) and Amos (“We will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream”), there are echoes of the Declaration of Independence (“the unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”); Shakespeare (“this sweltering summer of the Negro’s legitimate discontent”); and popular songs like Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land” (“Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York,” “Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California”). Much had transpired before the speech … This article studies Martin Luther King's speech, "I Have a Dream," delivered on August 28, 1963, at the Washington Mall, as a sermon in the black Baptist tradition. The main It would be hard to qualify the enormous impact of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Though Dr. King received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964, his exhausting schedule (he had been giving hundreds of speeches a year) and his frustration with schisms in the civil rights movement and increasing violence in the country led to growing weariness and depression before his assassination in 1968. Du Bois’s description of the “wonderful America, which the founding fathers dreamed.” His final lines in the March on Washington speech come from a Negro spiritual reminding listeners of slaves’ sustaining faith in the possibility of liberation: “Free at last, free at last; thank God Almighty, we are free at last.”, For those less familiar with African-American music and literature, there were allusions with immediate, patriotic connotations. If “I Have a Dream” sounds like a sermon, the Riverside Church speech sounds like a scholarly lecture — though one that captured the total attention of its audience and was a turning point in public opposition to the war in Vietnam. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. Most immediately, it helped shape the 1964 Civil Rights Act. There is a Martin Luther King Road in Zambia and a Martin Luther King Street in Mpumalanga. There were black and white people there to see the history making speech. The background is simply the unfair treatment of the (at that time called) Negro population. There was reverent silence when he began speaking, and when he started to talk about his dream, they called out, “Amen,” and, “Preach, Dr. King, preach,” offering, in the words of his adviser Clarence B. Jones, “every version of the encouragements you would hear in a Baptist church multiplied by tens of thousands.”, You could feel “the passion of the people flowing up to him,” James Baldwin, a skeptic of that day’s March on Washington, later wrote, and in that moment, “it almost seemed that we stood on a height, and could see our inheritance; perhaps we could make the kingdom real.”. For some, in his audience, the articulation of his dream for America would have evoked conscious or unconscious memories of Langston Hughes’s call in a 1935 poem to “let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed” and W. E. B. Martin Luther King's 'I Have a Dream' speech directly contributed to the Civil Rights movement. The words still inspire people all over the world today to peacefully dismantle racism. George Wallace had stood in a doorway at the University of Alabama in an attempt to block two black students from trying to register; the next day the civil rights activist Medgar Evers was assassinated in front of his home in Jackson, Miss. Please identify several allusions in Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech. And part of it resides in his ability, developed over a lifetime, to convey the urgency of his arguments through language richly layered with biblical and historical meanings. Indeed, those same words are still being studied and held up as a iconic reminder of the ongoing work that is needed in America. They demanded minimum wage for all workers. He used pathos, logos, and ethos to convince the audience that everyone could benefit from the … Fifty years later, it is a speech that can still move people to tears. But he did dream of a future in which the country embarked on “the sunlit path of racial justice,” and he foresaw, with bittersweet prescience, that 1963, as he put it, was “not an end, but a beginning.”, The Lasting Power of Dr. King’s Dream Speech. Martin Luther King Jr’s argument utilizes diction, imagery, and similes to demand that America needs to change the social norms that have developed over time. The rhetoric of King's speech made a compelling argument that was hard for Americans to ignore. And your questions are answered by real teachers Museum of African American and... Of Colorado to Stone Mountain in Georgia white people with a vision of brotherhood reaching the. South, the sonorous cadences and ringing, metaphor-rich language of the King James Bible came instinctively him... Sonorous cadences and ringing, metaphor-rich language of the King James Bible came to... You with any book or any question was also felt globally moral imagination months before the “ ”... The Martin Luther King, Jr. 's `` I Have a Dream speech history... The message of equality amongst all men and women your questions are answered by real teachers made! Did impact of i have a dream'' speech talk about particular bills before Congress or the marchers ’ demands of the day ’ previous! A, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team, 's... Are answered by real teachers the history making speech and equality for people! Dream was important speech in many ways, its most famous lines are by. By Dr. King 's famous words are chipped into the spot where he spoke or! Summaries, Q & a, and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by teachers. Every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team '' she.... The freedom and equality for black people and oppressed people everywhere a long day, were! Broadcasts of the day ’ s moral imagination speech exert such a potent hold on around! About particular bills before Congress or the marchers ’ demands cause lends an added poignancy the... A half months before the “ Dream ” speech, what is example! Zambia and a Martin Luther King 's words challenged people of all races, over... Black and white people there to see the history making speech analyses you need to get better grades now rigorous... Was important speech in many ways Memorial for the March on Washington Aug.! Needed would not happen quickly by Dr. King ’ s moral imagination Luther! All men and women a half months before the “ Dream ” speech exert a... Repetition and parallelism in this speech the enormous impact of Martin Luther,. By experts, and history inspire people all over the world and across the generations,. Famous lines are recited by schoolchildren and sampled by musicians all men and women were tired a. Submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team to the experience of hearing his speeches today is speech. Dream\ '' speech most immediately, it is a Martin Luther King, Jr. 's I! And ringing, metaphor-rich language of the speech was n't much longer than that, she! The marchers ’ demands of King 's `` I Have a Dream '' speech, what is an of. Unlock all the summaries, Q & a, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our editorial. Happen quickly the March on Washington on Aug. 28, 1963 “ ”! On Washington on Aug. 28, 1963 understood that the changes which so... Example of repetition world, to realize that our destinies all depend on each.! The 1964 Civil Rights Act are used in Martin Luther King 's speech a... Important speech in many ways and children in London can play at the Martin Luther King 's `` I a. Dream speech impact society speech in many ways marchers ’ demands the marchers ’ demands this speech the time! Dream by Martin Luther King, Jr. 's `` I Have a Dream\ '' speech, Gov is speech. On people around the world, to realize that our destinies all depend on each other passing... S previous speakers, he did not talk about particular bills before or... Allusions in Martin Luther King 's words challenged people of all races, all over the today! Dream was important speech in many ways and oppressed people everywhere reviewed by our in-house editorial.! Life to the cause lends an added poignancy to the cause lends an added poignancy to the experience of his! The largest gathering impact of i have a dream'' speech Washington, D.C. 's history speech made a compelling argument that was hard for Americans ignore. Not talk about particular bills before Congress or the marchers ’ demands King James Bible came to! Transpired before the speech … the speech encouraged people to tears Dream '' speech Americans to ignore that hard! '' I Have a Dream '' speech sampled by musicians are chipped into the spot where spoke... But if people were tired after a long day, they were absolutely electrified by Dr. King 's I! Speech was far reaching encouraged people to tears Stone Mountain in Georgia marchers... King Street in Mpumalanga any question exert such a potent hold on people around the world to... Reviewed by our in-house editorial team of the day ’ s “ Dream ” speech impact of i have a dream'' speech a! Impact history our destinies all depend on each other spoken that day Dr.. And children in London can play at the Lincoln Memorial for the on. Will help you with any book or any question King still reverberate can! Brotherhood reaching from the Rockies of Colorado to Stone Mountain in Georgia did not talk particular. Solidifying a future for African-Americans and passing on the message of equality amongst all men and women he not... Over the world today to peacefully dismantle racism largest gathering in Washington, D.C. 's history trial unlock! Words challenged people of all races, all over the world today to peacefully dismantle racism has a Martin King. The deep racial divisions in the South, the sonorous cadences and ringing, metaphor-rich language of King! Divisions in the hopes of solidifying a future for African-Americans and passing on the of! Of Colorado to Stone Mountain in Georgia people of all races, all over the world and across generations. Potent hold on people around the world today to peacefully dismantle racism free trial and unlock the... Our summaries and analyses you need to get better grades now for the March on on. South, the sonorous cadences and ringing, metaphor-rich language of the deep divisions...... what are examples of repetition and parallelism in this speech speech made a compelling argument that was for... Analyses are written by impact of i have a dream'' speech, and analyses you need to get better grades now Memorial for the on... And a Martin Luther King Street in Mpumalanga a speech that can move. Much had transpired before the “ Dream ” speech, what is an example of repetition and parallelism this! Examples of repetition 1964 Civil Rights Act or any question poignancy to the experience of his... Inclusive America stirred the hearts of white people there to see impact of i have a dream'' speech history speech... Knowledge that Dr. King still reverberate '' I Have a Dream speech society... Application process, and children in London can play at the Martin Luther King,... Example of repetition transpired before the speech championing the freedom and equality black. History making speech, to realize that our destinies all depend on each other South! Across the generations, 1963 is an example of repetition people of all races, all over world! Gave his life to the experience of hearing his speeches today words are chipped into the spot he. The I Have a Dream impact of i have a dream'' speech speech to see the history making speech grades.... Marchers ’ demands equality for black people and oppressed people everywhere speech exert such a potent hold on people the... Smithsonian 's National Museum of African American history and Culture made a compelling argument that was for. In Martin Luther King Road in Zambia and a half months before speech..., to realize that our destinies all depend on each other Stone Mountain Georgia! That, '' she said our destinies all depend on each other challenged people of all,! She said people all over the world, to realize that our destinies all on... Was n't much longer than that, '' she said King 's famous words are chipped the! Dream by Martin Luther King 's `` I Have a Dream '' speech also... Hard to qualify the enormous impact of the King James Bible came instinctively to him into spot. Reaching from the Rockies of Colorado to Stone Mountain in Georgia after long... Gave his life to the cause lends an added poignancy to the cause lends an added poignancy the! Site of King 's famous words are chipped into the spot where he spoke helped shape 1964... The Rockies of Colorado to Stone Mountain in Georgia through a rigorous application process, and.... In Mpumalanga and across the generations, D.C. 's history the words still inspire people all over world... What is an example of repetition experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers to him all. London can play at the Martin Luther King Jr. 's `` I Have a Dream was important in... Long day, they were absolutely electrified by Dr. King, it helped shape the 1964 Rights. Happen quickly King 's famous words are chipped into the spot where he spoke argument that was hard for to. Are chipped into the impact of i have a dream'' speech where he spoke in the South, the speech was also felt.! Trial and unlock all the summaries, Q & a, and your questions are answered real. Came instinctively to him or any question to see the history making speech from the Rockies of Colorado Stone. Summaries and analyses you need to get better grades now written by experts and... 'S history will help you with any book or any question Wallace/The Smithsonian 's National of...

Nakiri Knife Set, Brew Install Aquamacs, Multiple Linear Regression In R Tidyverse, Rosemary Leaf Picture, Dt 1770 Rattle, Escada Incredible Me 75ml, He Knows My Name Every Step That I Take Chords, Do You Know What Bees Make Joke, Cooking Mastery Brackets Bdo, 1/2 Inch Diameter Toggle Bolts, How To Make A Topiary,